Textile Design, Riot Fest Rust

Student: Emily L. R. Adams
Major: Textile Design

My work is connected to design because of the process involved to create it. As an artist and designer I carefully consider every detail along the way, the smallest change can cause a ripple in the outcome. The interaction of imagery and materials is part of the magic of designing that begins to take on a life of its own. I use photographic screen-printing techniques to achieve a variety of 'looks' on different fabrics. For me the design process happens organically, yet I am constantly thinking one step ahead of my actions. For example, in the "Polaroid Cloth" I used a snow dye process to add color to the fabric first and then printed the geometric Polaroid pattern using a chemical agent to pull the dye back out of the fabric. The push and pull of layering process and combining results in one, the fabric becomes rich with evidence to how it was created.

*Recipient of the Best in Textile and Apparel Design Award